Monday, June 28, 2004

Hoodie and flip-flop weather. Toes in the sand. Sound of crashing waves. Smell of the salty breeze. Disneyland. In-n-Out Burger. oh Cali, how I love thee. Let me count the ways... I went and saw family this week in California and at least once every hour found myself asking, "WHY AM I GOING TO ARKANSAS?!?!?!" Aside from the smog, earthquakes, fires, population ridiculousness, outrageous cost of living, etc I think it would be fun to go to school there. My trip was strangely uneventful. My bag made it there and back, the flights were smooth (though delayed), I didn't have to sit near anyone horribly obnoxious that insists on talking to me. My mom's aunt died while we were there, but other than that...it was a good trip.
And now it's story time... Yesterday on the flight home I sat next to my cousin Natalie and in front of us was a man and his son (approximate age 2 1/2). The kid was (and probably still is) old enough to make complete sentences, has that cute little kid speech impediment, and talks just a little bit too loud. The dad read Winnie-the-Pooh during take-off, made him eat "one more bite," and pointed at things out the window like all good dads would. Kid was well-behaved the whole flight. Then, about 45 mins to landing, the child pointed at his dad and, in his speech-impediment-too-loud-voice, said, "You said sh--! You said sh--!" The dad, remaining unflustered, replied, "Yes. I did. It was an accident. I apologize." The continuing dialogue was as follows:
Kid: "You said sh--. You said sh--."
Dad: "I know. I'm sorry."
Kid: (SINGING and POKING his father for emphasis) "Bad boys, bad boys. Whatchya gonna do? Whatchya gonna do when they come for you?"
Dad: (Silence)
Kid: "You're in BIG trouble cuz' you said sh--."
3-4 mins of silence pass.
Kid: (turns to Dad with raised eyebrows and warns him) "Don't say hell!"

All the while my cousin and I are laughing hysterically and trying to be discreet about it. Oh my gosh I thought I was going to die. Good times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home