Monday, October 18, 2004

I'm drinking orange juice that tastes like airplane orange juice, eating artificially colored "soft & tasty" frosted sugar cookies, and I'm reflecting on the recent observation that life happens...sometimes even in Arkansas. That's very good news.

I have a friend. It's official. We discussed it. Her name is Pamela. Pamela is good for me, and I don't think I'll be too horrible of an influence on her either. She's a 21 year old sophomore. She came to JBU for her freshman year, then spent one year in an intense discipleship program, and then the next year working as the intern for the program. We talked about culture shock (even though her program was in the States) and daydreams, movies and music, regrets and fears, different kinds of people and which type we are. I've known her approximately one week. She asks great questions and thinks great thoughts. She says stupid and genius things, sometimes in the same sentence. She asked me if I like Garden State, after which we proceeded to discuss the beauty of it, and life, and love. She studied in my room today, then I left for class, then she took a nap in my bed. She can walk up to people she doesn't know and talk to them. She's comfortable. You know the type? We talked about that too. I told her why I'm not like that. I told her what's going through my head. My mental illnesses. I told her that I can't believe that people love me, that they would want to be my friend, that they would want me to come up and talk to them even though I don't know them. That kind of thing has never crossed her mind. That's good. That kind of thing needs to cross my mind less. We talked about cars. She said I'm a Jeep kind of girl, with no prompting. I almost cried.
Pamela doesn't suck at all.
Another non-sucky thing in life is that I think I found a church that asks "Why" questions and teaches the Bible. It's only been one Sunday, but I will return. It's interesting that there are about 800 churches per square mile here and the one that I like is a good 40 minutes away. Oh well. I'd rather do that than listen to football-history-of-the-world sermons like the last church I visited.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home